Email a LibrarianEmail reference service is provided primarily for students, faculty, and staff of the University of Detroit Mercy. There are two ways to avail yourself of this service. You may either use the Email a Librarian link on the left navigation bar or send a message directly to a librarian by name.
A message sent to email a librarian goes to a general email inbox which is monitored on a daily basis by a rotation of librarians to make sure questions get answered. If you want to contact a specific librarian, go the disciplines page for the addresses for librarians on each campus.
Email reference questions should be limited
- to those that have concise factual answers, e.g., a historical fact, a definition, and specific statistics
- to development or implementation of a search strategy
- to questions specifically related to UDM and/or its resources
- to questions normally asked at a reference desk, including
- where/how should I start my research?
- this is what I have researched already, where else should I look?
- I need statistics on?
FAQsFAQs are questions asked most often of librarians. If the question and link to the answer appears here, then you probably do not need to submit your question. However, if it does not appear or you need further clarification please feel free to submit a question by clicking here and filling out the form as complete as possible. Some FAQ's are:
- What are the Library hours?
- What are my borrowing privileges?
- How can I locate books and journals at UDM?
- How do I read a call number?
- What databases are accessible off campus?
- Where can citation information be located?
- Where do I find information on how to write a bibliographic citation?
- How do I request an Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
- Do I have borrowing privilege at another library?
Still have a question? Click here to email a librarian now
Call or visit a University Library for these types of questionsFor more in-depth research, it might be necessary to speak directly with a librarian. Please feel free to stop by the reference desk in one of the UDM libraries. For an appointment with a librarian, personal explanation of library resources and research techniques, click here to the Make an Appointment. These are the types of questions which require more direct contact with a librarian.
- I need a number of articles for a paper
- I need something to show me how to create a bibliography
- How do I search a journal database?
Each academic college/school department has been assigned a librarian faculty member to work as a liaison with the faculty of that department. College/School faculty work with the librarians in collection development, in preparation of research skills classes, and in providing a communication link between the departments and the libraries. Click here for the name of the librarian faculty liaison you wish to email.
For concerns about library patron issues (e.g., access to databases, library hours, fines, access to collections) contact the Associate Dean for Public Services, George Libbey [firstname.lastname@example.org].
For concerns about the libraries technical issues (e.g., computer availability, software, collection organization) contact the Associate Dean for Technical Services and Library Systems, .
eMail a Librarian
All fields are required.